After you undergo a tooth extraction in a dental office, the dental surgeon always gives you certain post extraction instructions. The reason behind these important suggestions is to have a comfortable healing process without any chances of the occurrence of complications following surgery.
We advise you to follow these tips after you undergo tooth removal process,
- Ice your face or cheek (side of extraction) 15min on and 15min off for the first 1 – 1.5 hours after extraction. This helps reduce pain and swelling. If you wait for swelling to come on, the ice will no longer be effective.
- Ensure to keep pressure over the gauze pad or cotton pack placed over the extraction socket by biting down on it for at least half an hour,
- For pain or discomfort, take a mild analgesic. Do not use heavy doses of medication,
- Avoid spitting vigorously after tooth removal for a few days,
- Avoid smoking after tooth extraction for a few days,
- Try to avoid sucking on a straw for at least three days,
- Eat only soft, cold and non-spicy food following a few days after surgery. Try to avoid hot and spicy stuff,
- Restrict your activities for some time after surgery and try to get some rest,
- Vigorous rinsing or touching the area of surgery should be avoided at every cost. This can cause dislodgment of the healing clot and may initiate bleeding from the wound,
- After 24 hours of surgery, use a warm water saline rinse 2-3 times a day to flush out any food debris and particles from the area of surgery. It has also a soothing and antibacterial effect,
- A certain amount of bleeding is a common occurrence following surgery. Do not worry in such situation. However if persistent bleeding occurs, bite on a wet tea bag.
- If you have any problems or concerns, please text or call the emergency number that was given to you at Summerlea Dental after your extraction.